No matter what your style is, a leather wallet is a classic accessory that always looks great. But with so many different types and styles of leather wallets available, how do you know which one is right for you? Sounds tricky, right?
Let us walk you through the different things to consider when choosing the perfect leather wallet for your needs. So, pay close attention and read on.
First – Why leather?
Leather is a popular choice for wallets because it looks nice and it is durable. There are many types of leather, from cowhide to exotic skins, so you can find a wallet that fits your style. Besides having a longer lifespan than canvas wallets, leather wallets also age well. They develop a patina over time that gives them character and uniqueness. In addition, leather is tough and resistant to wear and tear, so it will protect your valuables from being damaged.
However, leather requires some care to prevent it from drying out or cracking, so you need to know how to clean a leather wallet properly. With a little bit of effort, though, you can enjoy your leather wallet for many years to come.
Understanding The Types of Leather
The most common types of leather used for wallets are full-grain, top-grain, and genuine leather.
Full-grain leather is the strongest and most durable type of leather. It is made from the entire thickness of the hide and is not sanded or buffed to remove any imperfections. This makes it more resistant to scratches and wear and tear. Top-grain leather is a bit thinner than full-grain leather, but it is still strong and durable. It is made from the hide’s top layer and is sanded and buffed to remove imperfections.
Genuine leather is the lowest quality of the three types of leather, but it is still a good quality leather. It is made from the bottom layer of the hide and is sanded and buffed to remove imperfections. Now that you know the different types of leather let us move on to the different styles of leather wallets.
Choose Your Wallet Style
Numerous styles of leather wallets are available on the market. The most popular styles are bi-fold, tri-fold, and money clip wallets.
Bi-fold wallets are the most popular style of a leather wallet. They are slim and fit easily into your pocket. They have two compartments for you to store your cards and cash.
Tri-fold wallets are a bit thicker than bi-fold wallets but offer more storage space. They have three compartments for you to store your cards and cash.
Money clip wallets are the slimmest style of a leather wallet. They do not have any compartments, but they have a built-in money clip to hold your cash.
Besides these basic styles, you’ll find more stylish and functional wallet styles.
- Credit Card Holder: A credit card holder wallet is perfect for those who just want to carry a few cards. These are slim and fit easily into your front pockets.
- Zipper Wallet: A Zipper Wallet is essentially a bi-fold wallet with zipper closure to keep everything secure. While these are great for added security, zipper wallets limit how much cash and cards they can hold to be closed correctly.
- Long Wallet: Long wallets are specifically meant for suit coat pockets and are also known as breast wallets, suit wallets, or coat wallets. Because of their flat rectangular shape, cash bills don’t need to be folded.
Long wallets have ample space to easily keep cash, cards, and even your smartphone. You can find countless phone leather cases in the market for popular brands.
- Checkbook Wallet: As the name suggests, this type of wallet comes with a sleeve or flap for your checkbook. It’s a practical choice for those who often write checks.
- Chain Wallet: A chain wallet is a wallet with a metal chain attached to it. The chain is usually made of stainless steel or brass. Chain wallets are popular among bikers because they can be attached to their pants.
Once you choose your style, it’s time to find the correct size for your needs.
Pick The Right Size
The size of your wallet should be based on how much you need to carry with you on a daily basis. If you only need to carry a few cards and some cash, then a slim bi-fold or money clip wallet would be a good choice.
Or, if you need to carry more cards and cash, then a tri-fold wallet would be a better choice. Lastly, a long wallet would be the best choice if you want a wallet that can hold everything.
Choose The Right Features For Yourself
When choosing a leather wallet, you should also consider the features that you need. Some common features to look for are:
- Card slots: Card slots are important if you aren’t a cash person and want to be able to store multiple cards in your wallet.
- Cash compartment: Wallets generally have two cash compartments, but you can always find a wallet with fewer or more compartments as you require.
- Coin pocket: Some of us like to stay extra organized and have a place for everything, so you might want to look for a wallet with a coin pocket.
- RFID blocking: RFID blocking is a feature that helps protect your cards from being scanned by thieves.
- Key holder: A key holder is a feature that allows you to store your keys in your wallet.
Considering these features is important because they impact the everyday functionality of your wallet.
Finally – What's your budget?
Finally, you need to consider your budget when choosing a leather wallet. Leather wallets can range in price from $25 to $200 and above. So, when choosing a wallet, decide beforehand how much you are willing to spend.
If you’re looking for a quality leather wallet that will last you for years, you should be prepared to spend close to $100. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a cheaper leather wallet that will still get the job done and last longer if cared for properly, you can find one for under $50.
Now that you know the different types of leather, wallet styles, and other things to consider when choosing a wallet, you are ready to pick the perfect leather wallet for yourself or as a gift.